In this episode we discuss 6 different topics that you will definitely find highly interesting and relevant.
The Rise of Superman
- Steven Kotler is a New York Times bestselling author, award-winning journalist, and cofounder and director of research for the Flow Genome Project. His books include The Rise of Superman, Abundance, A Small, Furry Prayer, West of Jesus, and The Angle Quickest for Flight.
- He discusses the Concept of Flow [00:57]
- As the Harvard Medical School Dr Ned Halliwell says – “Flow naturally catapults you to a point that you are not naturally in”
- Flow can be triggered by public speaking and meditation and really is a state of mind in which grit, fortitude, determination, creativity, resilience and critical thinking, pattern recognition and hot decision making pops in.
- Tracking Flow and Flow States – learning what activities break flow. Breaking patterns of breaking flow. BUT this is not just about getting more done, faster. This is about more than that. When people are in flow they are massively creative and massively efficient. Not to check email every 15 minutes as this breaks your flow and decreases efficiency [03:50]
The Most Bad Ass Navy Seal Ever – Jocko Willink
- How to observe and detach yourself from a situation in order to handle the situation better
- Detached “observation” – when he is able to observe himself out of himself, it allows him to make better decisions and be a better leader [06:25]
- Extreme Ownership – as he explains his concept of extreme ownership – you should take 100% ownership [6:50]
- Where am I passing responsibility to someone else except where I am taking ownership of tasks myself [07:38]
- Extreme Ownership – How US navy Seals Lead and Win – by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Extreme Ownership – Book trailer
- Tim Ferriss Podcast Episode with Jocko Willink
The Web’s Shadiest Neighborhoods by Blue Coat
TLD Article – Top Level Domains
- Two years ago there used to be just 6 domains previously, and since 2013 there are now over 1,000 domains. [08:28]
- Organized crime is hiding malware on these domains on these top-level domains (TLDS).
- This is happening because of lax policies from ICANNs. There is a list of safe domains and unsafe neighborhoods to set your URL filters and spam filters [9:05]
- DCS Don’t click plan – know what you are clicking before you click on it. Drive by malware is a huge entry point [10:28] – as you’ll see in my previous podcast with David Cross of Microsoft
- Pay attention to your security equipment so that you can deal with this issue.
- The web’s shadiest neighborhoods report
- This is the site at ICANN that lists the top level domains
- Blue Coat
Gaming to Improve Your Speed as an Adult
- Jane McGonigal’s research and TED Talks on the benefits of gaming
- What assumptions have changed your mind in the past year?
- This will surprise you but it has been found that game playing is healthy as long as it is under 21 hours a week. [11:53]
- Physical resilience, mental willpower, social resilience mental stability are really important skills derived from game playing [12:30]
- Playing a game with my son – before doing this research
- Encouraging playing with daughters and sons, helps with bonding, collaborative problem solving and thinking creatively.
- Collaborative problem solving, urgent optimism, the ability to act immediately to tackle an obstacle
- Our avatar selves are trying to find the better version of oneself in these games [13:41]
- The gaming mindset – helps with your team. What can you do with using repetitive tasks – making it a game and dive into flow and the willpower of game-playing.
- Reference article on LinkedIn & RedZone
Hacks to Get More Sleep
- We are being told by researchers that we need at least 8 hours sleep to perform optimally. We are not getting 8 hours of sleep. How do you hack sleep? How do you do it with products with lifestyle patterns and eating well?
- Nick Littlehales details his techniques in the Guardian article [15:18]
- He has practical ways to deal with that specially if you are travelling [15:30]
- We are now exposed to artificial light stimulation and impacts on our health with depression. It potentially makes us fatter because our metabolisms are working as it should.
- How to measure your sleep. How to have a dawn simulator and alarm clock. How to measure your sleep. How to sleep in sleep cycles. How to choose your bedding correctly. When you are travelling how to achieve perfect darkness [16:14]
- It is important to see how he works with top athletes as they need to optimize recovery [16:44]
- How can you be expected to perform optimally if your brain hasn’t fully recovered?
- How to Recover from Lost Sleep – Ben Greenfield podcast – Nick Littlehales
Singularity University – Continuing Education
- Executive program by Singularity University which concentrates on six exponentially growing fields each taught by world experts
- Goal is to come away with knowledge of major disruptive innovations and their implications in the areas of Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, AI (Artificial Intelligence) and Robotics, Energy Environmental Systems, Medicine and Neuroscience, Networks and Computing Systems And Nanotechnology [18:30]
- Finding what you are passionate about and taking it back into your specific expertise and add value [19:02]
All methods of how to access the show are below:
- Listen on iTunes (for iPhones etc.)
- Listen to it on Stitcher (This is for Android Phone Users. Download the Stitcher app here)
- Stream it on Libsyn
- Listen to it on Soundcloud (This is for listening via PC/Mac Browser)
- Please subscribe here to Bill Murphy’s Redzone Podcast on iTunes
- Subscribe to my RSS Feed here
- Link to LinkedIn blog post
Leave a podcast review here
Bill is dedicated to your success as an IT Business Leader. Follow Bill on LinkedIn and Twitter. Subscribe below for weekly podcast, CIO Mastermind and CISO Mastermind updates delivered to your inbox easily and effortlessly.