A good friend of mine, Rafael Maldonado, is CIO of the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA). In this short story he shares with me his thoughts on leadership, presenting to CEOs, three star generals, being a great follower, and the impact the military had on developing him as a leader.
Today, my guest is Shannon Emmons, Senior Product Manager at SonicWall.
It was great having Shannon talk with our CIO and Lieutenant community. She is the top person for managing the product development of the Cloud App Security line with SonicWall
From a security strategy perspective, the importance of a platform for security threat management, blocking, detection and response, as it relates to SaaS apps and your data, has never been more important. This can’t be understated as more and more of your business applications are moved to the cloud and Securing Office 365, OneDrive, G Suite, Box, Dropbox, and other SaaS apps take on a higher and higher priority.
I was eager to talk with Shannon and I was lucky to catch up with her after our Cloud and Email Kill Chain Defense Innovation lunch event. Here are some of the key questions we discussed:
I’m very excited about my guest for you today. It’s Barry Libenson, Global CIO for Experian. He is responsible for the design and delivery of global technology strategy. Prior to joining Experian in 2015, he was Senior Vice President and CIO of Safeway in North America. Before that, he was the CIO and VP of Land O’Lakes. He has a continuous track record of huge success in the CIO capacity.
I am excited to bring Barry back for “Round 2” – his second episode with me and the RedZone Podcast. You will get the following out of this show as it relates to CIO Offensive and Defensive Strategy for a World Class company:
Akridge | Washington DC
This was our 1st Innovation Lunch dedicated solely to IT Defense Innovation. Typically event registration is limited to CIOs and title-equivalent IT leaders; however, CIO Innovation Forum event host, Bill Murphy, recognizes how important and relevant Defense topics are for our CIOs and their Lieutenants. For this lunch, the team opened up registration to the Lieutenants as well, resulting in record-breaking registration numbers.
Agenda: Cloud and Email Kill Chain Techniques for Modern Multi-Cloud Architectures
- How to Build a Security Platform – vs Best of Breed Approach
- Advanced Threat Protection – Review the importance of multi-engine sandboxing techniques to block unknown and zero-day threats until verdict.
- Single Pane of Glass Threat Detection – SOCaaS – Security Operations Center as a Service – and SEIMaaS – SEIM as a Service, reporting and analytics – all from a single pane of glass
- Security in Office 365: What are the steps like 3rd party email bridge gateways and other items needed to secure Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and Teams?
- Identity Based Access Control: Understand Microsoft’s MFA/2FA and Conditional Access.
- Next Gen CASB with Cloud App Security – Provide next-gen security for SaaS applications such as Office 365, G Suite, Box, Dropbox, etc. by protecting email, data and user identities from advanced threats.
- Secure Mobile and Remote Access – in a Hybrid and Multi-Cloud environment unified secure access gateway that enables organizations to provide access to any application, at any time, from anywhere and on any device.
- Next Gen Endpoint protection: AV is dead. Review advanced behavior based endpoint protection and system rollback options.
- Perimeter Gateway Protection: Virtual FW, Network FW, Wireless, Web Application Firewall – Review comprehensive security in AWS, Azure, Hosted, and On-Prem world.
- RedZone Virtual Information Security Operations (VISO) Programs– Co-managed IT Security solutions for CIOs and Lieutenants who require and need added security capabilities delivered ‘on-demand’ as a ‘virtual’ program.
NADA | Washington, DC
At this invitation-only event for CIOs, RedZone President & CEO Bill Murphy hosts senior IT executives to provide an interactive session focused on delivering value to you.
Agenda: The Role of the CIO with Digital + Business Transformation
- Current Exponential Technology Convergence Overview
- Strategy Innovation vs Product Innovation vs Process Innovation
- Abundance and Necessity for 10X Leadership at the CIO Level
- Engineering Serendipity: Artists, Soldiers and Champions
- The Necessity for Challenging Assumptions and the Current Narrative
- Innovation and the Role of CIO: Mentors + Personal Vision
We asked each CIO who attended our previous event to share their top three favorite tools that promote efficiency within their organizations. The consolidated list of tools is attached for your reference. Hope you find some of these items valuable.