This episode is sponsored by the CIO Scoreboard
My guest this week is the Greg Satell.
Greg is a popular writer, speaker and innovation advisor, whose work has appeared in Harvard Business Review, and Forbes.
I met Greg through the two gentlemen at Experian who have been on the show recently, Eric Haller, Executive Vice President of Experian’s DataLabs, and Barry Libenson, CIO of Experian. Birds of a feather flock together, as they say. As Greg and I were setting up the conversation, he just released his first book called Mapping Innovation: A Playbook for Navigating a disruptive age. It was published in May of 2017.
Download the Full Transcript>>
Major Take-Aways From This Episode:
- My conversation with Greg is a refreshing perspective on innovation largely because of his concept of an innovation matrix. This is a framework that he created to help companies frame problems so that they can find the approach that will most likely solve them.
- I love the concept of “looking for problems to solve” versus just generating ideas. I always appreciate the “mental judo” that innovative thinking offers and my conversation with Greg does that. It sort of breaks off the mental cobwebs.
- Innovation Labs – While reviewing the episode transcript, I liked what Greg said about innovation labs:
“When an innovation lab is targeted at finding new problems for solutions that exist within the organization, they tend to do pretty well.”
- We discuss two contrasts: Apple CEO Tim Cook’s vision for corporate innovation contrasted with Google’s, for example.
- It will make you wonder what is right for your organization.
- Destructive innovation myths. Innovation just doesn’t happen because someone comes up with one big idea.
- Digital Age innovation is different than previous generations. We need to learn how to use new tools properly.
- In the resource links you can find a free chapter download Greg has made available along with a video about the book and the Amazon link to buy it.
About Greg Satell
Greg Satell is a popular writer, speaker and innovation advisor, whose work has appeared in Harvard Business Review, Forbes and other A-list publications.
Previously, he served as Senior Vice President Strategy & Innovation at Moxie Interactive, a division of Publicis Groupe, one of the world’s leading marketing services organizations as well as Co-CEO of KP Media, a leading publisher of magazines and websites in Ukraine, including the newsmagazine Korrespondent and the web portal, Bigmir.
You can find Greg’s blog at DigitalTonto.com and on Twitter @DigitalTonto. His first book, Mapping Innovation, has been published by McGraw-Hill in May.
How to get in touch with Greg Satell:
Books / Publications:
- Mapping Innovation
- First chapter download link
- Short video (under 3 minutes) about the book
- Forbes Magazine Publications
- Harvard Business Review Publications
- Inc. Publications
This episode is sponsored by the CIO Scoreboard, a powerful tool that helps you communicate the status of your IT Security program visually in just a few minutes.
* Outro music provided by Ben’s Sound
Other Ways To Listen to the Podcast
iTunes | Libsyn | Soundcloud | RSS | LinkedIn
Leave a Review
If you enjoyed this episode, then please consider leaving an iTunes review here
Click here for instructions on how to leave an iTunes review if you’re doing this for the first time.
About Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is a world renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT business leader. Follow Bill on LinkedIn and Twitter.