This episode is sponsored by the CIO Innovation Insider Offense and Defense Community.
This week my guest is Ann Cavoukian, Distinguished Expert-in-Residence, leading Privacy by Design Centre of Excellence at Ryerson University.
Ann and I talk about privacy, GDPR and the concept of privacy by design, which Ann created. Privacy by design was recognized by the International Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners as an essential component of fundamental privacy protection and it is a core part of the European Union GDPR regulations.
It is really interesting that GDPR is the next thing, from a privacy prospective, that is hitting security. I like GDPR, the privacy it promotes and freedom it will bring to the individual in a long run. It will ultimately force security to respect the individual right.
Listen to the interview and learn more on how to win GDPR with Privacy by Design, Positive Sum Mindset and how to embed privacy and security in your operations.
If you have any questions about preparing for GDPR or need help facilitating this process , email firstname.lastname@example.org
Major Take-Aways From This Episode:
- Privacy is not about secrecy. Privacy breathes freedom, innovation, and prosperity.
- Privacy by Design could be embedded into the design of your technologies, policies, procedures and data architecture.
- How to get rid of “zero-sum mindset”: embed both privacy and security in your operations.
- The importance of asking how much “baking privacy and security” is going to save you in a long run, not what is it going to cost you.
- Privacy (and Data Protection) by design and by default ( Article 25 of the EU GDPR) and transparency are the biggest game-changers with preparing for GDPR.
- Great resource to learn about Privacy by Design is International Council on Global Privacy and Security, By Design that highlights the importance of global privacy and security by design.
- Practical application of GDPR. How to show that you are serious about abiding by GDPR law?
- Positive-Sum Mentality in relation to the concept of “Global Privacy and Security by Design”: Positive Sum for Privacy + Security or for Privacy + Business
Important Links and Resources:
- International Council on Global Privacy and Security, By Design
- TEDx Talk on Privacy and Freedom
- TrustArc – comprehensive solutions for the EU GDPR, Privacy Shield, etc.
- Enigma.co – Enigma is a scalable privacy protocol for every blockchain.
- Nymity.com – Research-based privacy compliance software.
- ICO – UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights.
- Wikipedia – Profile
- Ryerson University Profile – Profile
- Privacy by Design (Wikipedia)
About Ann Cavoukian
Dr. Ann Cavoukian is recognized as one of the world’s leading privacy experts. She is presently the Distinguished Expert-in-Residence, leading the Privacy by Design Centre of Excellence at Ryerson University. Dr. Cavoukian is also a Senior Fellow of the Ted Rogers Leadership Centre at Ryerson University, and a Faculty Fellow of the Center for Law, Science & Innovation at Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. Dr. Cavoukian served an unprecedented three terms as the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario, Canada. There she created Privacy by Design, a framework that seeks to proactively embed privacy into the design specifications of information technologies, networked infrastructure and business practices, thereby achieving the strongest protection possible. In 2010, International Privacy Regulators unanimously passed a Resolution recognizing Privacy by Design as an international standard. Since then, PbD has been translated into 40 languages.
Dr. Cavoukian has received numerous awards recognizing her leadership in privacy, including being named as one of the Top 25 Women of Influence in Canada, named among the Top 10 Women in Data Security and Privacy, named as one of the Power 50′ by Canadian Business, named as one of the Top 100 Leaders in Identity, she was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal by the Governor General of Canada for her outstanding work on creating Privacy by Design and taking it global (May, 2017), named as one of the 50 Most Impactful Smart Cities Leaders, (November, 2017), and most recently, was named among the Top Women in Tech.
How to get in touch with Ann Cavoukian
* Outro music provided by Ben’s Sound
Leave a Review
If you enjoyed this episode, then please consider leaving an iTunes review here
Click here for instructions on how to leave an iTunes review if you’re doing this for the first time.